Next Story
Newszop

Donald Trump fires NSA chief Timothy Haugh amid cyber threats, sparking Democratic backlash

Send Push
NSA director Timothy Haugh was removed from his position on Thursday, according to a report by the Washington Post that cited two current and one former US official. Haugh, who also leads US Cyber Command, was dismissed alongside NSA deputy Wendy Noble.

Wendy Noble has been reassigned to a position within the Pentagon’s Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence, the report said. The NSA, which functions under the Department of Defense, has not commented on the leadership change.

William Hartmann, deputy commander at US Cyber Command, has been named the acting director of the NSA. Sheila Thomas, formerly the agency’s executive director, is stepping in as the acting deputy, according to the report.

The reasons behind Haugh’s removal and Noble’s reassignment remain unclear.

The current and former officials cited by the Washington Post said they did not know the reason for Haugh’s dismissal or Noble’s reassignment.

Democratic Representative Jim Himes, who serves as the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, condemned the decision to terminate Haugh’s tenure.

The White House and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to inquiries seeking comment on the matter.

Since taking office on January 20, President Donald Trump has dismissed several high-ranking officials across various federal agencies and replaced them with individuals viewed as loyal to his administration.

Elon Musk, who is leading the administration’s initiative to cut and streamline the federal workforce, reportedly visited NSA headquarters last month and met with Haugh.

The NSA is one of the United States’ most sophisticated intelligence entities, utilizing cutting-edge tools to gather and analyze information. US Cyber Command, operating under the same umbrella, is responsible for both cyber defense and offensive operations within the Department of Defense’s networks.

Several top Democrats in Congress voiced strong opposition Thursday following reports that Gen. Tim Haugh had been removed from his position as director of the National Security Agency. One lawmaker warned the decision could undermine national security.

The Washington Post, citing two current and one former US official, reported that Haugh was dismissed from both his NSA role and as head of US Cyber Command, which oversees the Defense Department’s cybersecurity operations . Wendy Noble, his civilian deputy at the NSA, was also reportedly let go.

Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, expressed concern in a public statement, saying: “General Haugh has served our country in uniform, with honor and distinction, for more than 30 years. At a time when the United States is facing unprecedented cyber threats, ... how does firing him make Americans any safer?”

Officials cited in the report requested anonymity and did not provide details about the reason behind the firings.
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now